Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year & Welcome to my Blog!

Hi everyone and welcome to my new blog!

This is one of the many surprises that I have in store for you this year. I will keep this blog updated regularly–so please feel free to subscribe in order to be the first to read my latest updates about my training, travel, and triathlon.
As for now: It is travel time again for me.

I left Luxembourg for the winter and have started my first long term training camp in New Zealand.

Alicia is now working as a sport consultant and is doing most of my day-to-day management as well as organizing my life in general. That is a huge help as I know that I can finally fully focus just on my job.

Once we decided to do the next few camps together, we put our house and all of our belongings up for sale in order to remain more flexible. We set off to join several good training groups in a few triathlon hotspots across the globe, while still keeping our downscaled base in Luxembourg. This is the only way for me to stay competitive and get better. Quite a few things were limiting my training possibilities back home, so therefore we decided to go in a new direction–finally together.

Our first stop over was in Bangkok for just a few hours. We found a training facility and I was able to get a 2 hour solid workout in. Afterwards we had some really good Thai food and of course a nice long massage to help me deal with the travel stress a bit better.

Once we got to Auckland, the weather was great and I knew that we had made the right choice to leave the European winter for the moment. Training back home was so tough due to the weather conditions–but that’s over for me now.

I am sitting in the “Naked Bus” from Auckland down to Taupo. At first I was a be anxious to travel naked, but once I got on the bus I realized that it was just a marketing scheme and everyone was fully clothed. I had a great New Years Eve at a trendy bar in downtown Auckland, where I met my friend and fellow triathlete, Luke Dragstra from Canada. Nothing wild, but a few drinks a heaps of fun with our ladies.

Once we get to Taupo, we will be all set and will stay at one place for the next 2 months. I am really excited to be here and to meet a few other training buddies to get the big training volume in.

My shape is ok for the moment, even though the past week was pretty easy due to the big changes that we have been going through. I still have 9 weeks left and I believe it should be enough for me to get in solid racing shape. I have some big goals for this year and so I need to make sure I get up there.

A few big deals have gone through in the past few weeks as well, and I am very proud to announce the following new sponsors for the next season:

Triathl’Aix: one of the best long distance teams in the world. Thanks Caroline for making it all happen.- on va se voir bientot a Aix!

Santini SMS: a leading bike clothing sponsor where I will be part of the product development team in order to ensure that their triathlon wear is optimized. I will race a custom made race suit with my own design and logo–so watch out for me. Thanks to Monika and Martin for this great new relationship.

Max Lelli bikes: I am glad to announce that Team Liger USA with Marco Bonelli will continue to grow with me and I will be owning my first real time trial machine shortly! Thanks for your great support and your belief in me.

HED wheels: a dream come true–I will be racing the same wheels as Lance Armstrong. It was a pleasure to met Anne and Steve, the father of aerodynamics. The wheels will bring me another step closer to my first ironman victory.

SIS Science in Sport: who will supply me with the best existing sport nutrition on the market. Thanks Pete for bringing me on board.

Last but not least I want to say thanks to Martin McCrossan who has been working wonders in managing my sponsors and everything that goes along with that. He is a good friend who is motivated to help me succeed. As the manager of Maggy Backstead, he knows the business very well and we will continue to work together in order to make my product even more professional. Thanks for your help buddy.

So that is all for now. Please feel free to make comments and give me some feedback as to how you like the blog. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.
The first Ironman in Taupo, New Zealand is fast approaching–so I better start training.
Take care and Happy New Year to all of you!

Best,
Dirk

No comments: