Friday, April 24, 2009

Reflecting back on Beijing--and getting ready for a big racing month.



It's time for some more news. After the trip to Austin, we continued our trip to Tampa, Florida, where we have been staying with our good friends Vanessa and Simon. We had a really good time so far and training is going pretty good again. The time in Austin was planned to get me back into shape and since then I have gotten my feet back on the ground here in Florida. My swimming and especially biking is on a very high level and I am very surprised about how big the steps are that I take- cause, hey I am 32 and I have been doing this for a while already. But I have never before focused so much on riding--and man--I can only say: bring it on. Simon is a great help, he has so much knowledge from his past pro cycling career so we have a lot to talk about every day. I also did my first triathlon clinic here in Flroida with him and that was lots of fun for all of us.

About my foot: I did a scan when I got here since I wasn't sure if I am seriously hurt or what was going on, so I did another MRI. So I guess the bottom line is: doing all the little things to get better and keep running on a minimum. So I am doing some running, but 30 minutes a day just isn't doing the job. I start turning into a pro aquajogger though--and I dont like it too much. My first race here in the US is coming up and I will decide 2 days before the race if I will do it or not. So I will keep you posted as soon as have made up my mind. Three planned races in 4 weeks- so tough times are coming up. Number one goal is to get my last qualification for the ITU Euro Champs in August- but obviously I have some personal goals as well. St Anthonys, St Croix 70.3 and Disney 70.3- then I have a few days to recover before I get back to good old Luxembourg.

The next training camp is already planned and will start on the 1. June down in the south of France. If I find a cycling team in Luxembourg I might even do some road racing during the summer- but thats not an easy task. Life is great and the nice warm climate here in North Tampa is doing a lot of good for me. I love this place for training and everything- it just doesn't get much better. Some more sponsorship news: I just signed with Selle Italia and I am proud to announce that I will be racing on their saddles for the next few years! That will give me an extra boost in the next weeks! Thanks Steven!

I have a lot of people asking when my new website will be live--well no need to wait much longer!! The site is just amazing and will have a lot of really cool features. The new blog will be much more focused on you guys, and will serve as a huge (free) information source in order to get your game up to speed and help you perform your best out there in your own races. I am really looking forward to the launch--watch this space in the next couple of weeks!

What do you guys think about this awesome Olympic video? Many thanks to Martin McCrossan for creating this footage and for helping me to reminisce about that amazing day back in August 2008. I got a little teary eyed while watching this as it brings back the memories and helps me realize exactly how far we have all come since the days of salad-bowl helmets and teeny tiny speedo racesuits. I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for me as I approach another huge life goal--Ironman World Champs in Hawaii--bring it on.

1 comment:

Stephen Taylor said...

Dude---FINE performance at the Olympics! Don't burn yourself out doing 70.3 and IM races, stay fast, get faster, dominate the World Cup....and get that medal you deserve next Olympiad. Very much enjoyed the video, sir!